Updated June 2018
Epson's first Pro Cinema projectors with 4K UHD signal input and high dynamic range (HDR) support.
A great projector with even more to get excited about! This projector is TOP OF THE RANGE in Japan.
"..I was just about to pay for the home cinema bundle when my son asked what does the word enhanced under the 4K logo mean? The saleman then explained that it was not actual 4K.. Lucky via my son I found out before I paid for what I thought was a real 4K projector!" |Review|
Pro Cinema (EH TW8300 pictured) projectors featuring 4K Enhancement Technology1
Epson's first Pro Cinema projectors with 4K UHD signal input and high dynamic range (HDR) support. These newly designed Pro Cinema projectors deliver up to 2,500 lumens of color brightness and 2,500 lumens of white brightness and an expansive color gamut to display the entire sRGB and DCI color spaces. The projectors are engineered with up to 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and display high dynamic range content, with eye-popping bright colours and Ultra Blacks for a fully immersive large-screen experience.
On all fours
*The Epson 4K projectors are not "True" 4k they use Epson's 4K Enhancement Technology
(similar to JVC’s E-shift up-scaling) this shifts each pixel diagonally by 0.5 pixels.
The effect increases the apparent resolution so it's looking a lot like 3840 × 2160 or 4K.
This "interpolation" / up-scaling is not available in 3D Modes.
The EH TW8300 is basically a TW8200 with 4K up-scaling and lens memory.
Watching most currently available 1080P HD content we doubt many could justify the extra price of the EH TW8300 for the viewing improvement.
If you have a lot of 4K to watch that's another matter. Note 4k is not available for 3D content, we don't recommend a wireless connection either.
More About the Pro Cinema AU TW8300*
Designed to deliver brilliant, color-rich performance, the Epson Pro Cinema projectors' expansive color gamut is capable of displaying the full sRGB color space, even in the brightest mode, as well as the entire DCI color gamut – the digital cinema standard -- in Digital Cinema Mode. Both projectors include an enhanced optical engiHine and a new, all-glass cinema lens engineered to deliver excellent sharpness and color uniformity with remarkable clarity across the entire screen.
Installers and customers can also take advantage of the projectors' powered lens position memory, which enables users to preset up to 10 positions for motorised zoom, focus and lens shift for both standard projection and wide cinema ratios. In addition, a wide lens shift range offers exceptional installation flexibility, with both projectors delivering a super-wide range of up to ± 96.3 percent on the vertical axis and ± 47 percent on the horizontal axis. The projectors also include a new, non-inverting optical engine design, which utilises an additional high-quality relay lens for Epson's best color field uniformity to date.
The Pro Cinema 6040UB meets the ISF Certification standard. It features independent image calibration tools, plus lockable memory modes that prevent mis-adjustments that may inadvertently happen following installation and calibration. Installers will benefit from other features, including the ability to electronically lock calibration settings. Additionally, Red and Green pixels can be turned off for making adjustments without using a special filter.
Additional Pro Cinema EH TW8300 features include:
- High Brightness – Ideal for dedicated theatre rooms, the Pro Cinema EH TW8300 features 2,500 lumens of color brightness and 2,500 lumens of white brightness2 and the Pro Cinema 4040 features 2,300 lumens of color brightness and 2,300 lumens of white brightness2
- Image Enhancement Features – Super Resolution delivers defined edges and rich image quality, making content come alive; Detail Enhancement refines surface detail for true-to-life images; users can adjust levels of sharpness and detail enhancement
- Exquisite Contrast — Up to 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio for Ultra Blacks (EH TW8300 / TW9300)
- Frame Interpolation5 – Generates multiple new frames between the originals, reducing motion blur and providing a smoother, theater-like experience
- Auto Iris Technology – Adjusts the aperture to provide the optimum contrast and brightness for each scene
- Centered Lens Design – Makes installation easy to plan and carry out with simpler lens-to-screen alignment
- Picture-in-Picture Mode – Enables twice the content at once from two HDMI inputs on a single screen
- Home Entertainment Hub – Supports HDMI for seamless compatibility with cable/satellite boxes, Blu-ray Disc/DVD players and gaming consoles. It even connects to smartphones, tablets, and streaming devices such as Chromecast™, Roku®, Amazon Fire™ TV and Apple TV®; also connect your computer, GoPro® and more
- Color Brightness Specification – Brilliant image quality requires high color brightness; Epson projectors utilize 3LCD, 3-chip technology and offer up to 3x higher color brightness than leading competitive projectors6
Availability and Support
The Pro Cinema TW8300 (*Suggested my change in AU) (AU MSRP $4,499) is now available.
NOTE: EPSON is a registered trademark, EPSON Exceed Your Vision is a registered logomark and Better Products for a Better Future is a trademark of Seiko Epson Corporation. PrivateLine is a registered trademark and Extra Care is a service mark of Epson America, Inc. Apple TV is a trademark of Apple, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Chromecast is a trademark of Google Inc. All other product and brand names are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective companies. Epson disclaims any and all rights in these marks. Copyright 2016 Epson America, Inc.
1 4K Enhancement Technology shifts each pixel diagonally by 0.5 pixels to double the resolution and surpass Full HD image quality. Resolution is 1920 x 1080 in 3D Mode.
2 Color brightness (color light output) and white brightness (white light output) will vary depending on usage conditions. Color light output measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4; white light output measured in accordance with ISO 21118.
3 Entire DCI color space can be displayed in Digital Cinema Mode only.
4 The Pro Cinema 6040UB/TW8300/TW9300 delivers contrast ratio up to 1,000,000:1.
5 Supports 1080p/24 Hz or 3D 1080p/24 Hz frame packing only.
6 Color brightness (color light output) measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4. Color brightness will vary depending on usage conditions. Leading Epson 3LCD projectors in the home entertainment segment (720p and 1080p) compared to leading 1-chip DLP projectors, based on NPD data.
Prices, Models, Specifications etc. subject to Change without notice. E.&O.E.
Summary of "4k" Epson projector models:-
EH TW6700 and W both with 3,000 lumens and 70,000:1 contrast ratio.
- EH-TW8300 & TW9300 both top of the range with literally unbelievable contrast ratios.
Summary - Epson do more with less!
The EH TW8300 / TW9300 is basically a TW8200 (fantastic projector) with 4K up-scaling & lens memory (TW9300).
Watching most currently available 1080P HD content we doubt many could justify the extra price of the Epson EH TW8300 for the viewing improvement. Note that 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio is measured in Dynamic mode, this is a mode you'd never use for movies. The true (native) contrast is around 10,000:1. Using an iris to cut back all light when testing CR means testing full on/off will always produce far better results than a test that can't take advantage of the iris such as you'd find in real life. Given the way the CR data is chopped about it's very difficult to be definitive about Epson and Contrast ratio. This is not taking anything away from their great range of projectors.
Epson's EH-TW8300 is very hard to beat if you're looking for a great up market HD/3D projector. The Epson 4k feature is smart thinking and while most will just love the native picture this projector can produce others will have fun with 4k content too.